Achieving silence in class is one of the most difficult challenges with which teachers have to deal with daily. It is not easy to keep silence within the groups of students. However, these guidelines can help a lot. Tips for keeping the class quiet The groups of students in the school are made up of
Achieving silence in class is one of the most difficult challenges with which teachers have to deal with daily. It is not easy to keep silence within the groups of students. However, these guidelines can help a lot.
Tips for keeping the class quiet
The groups of students in the school are made up of:
- Young children who are at a key moment of language development and communication. In this stage, they have just acquired tools that allow them to express themselves without limits, so there is an urgent need to speak and express themselves in the form of screams and uncontrollable chatter.
- They are also in full moral development. They find it difficult to understand the meaning of the rules, rather than as an obligation.
- When they are adolescents they are in full process of self-affirmation and it is difficult to maintain their attention.
To maintain silence in class and for children to learn to value it as a way to respect others, reflect and learn. It is essential:
- Establish the standard. It is imperative that students commit to comply with the rules and also understand them. For this, it is important to explain to them why it is necessary for them to be silent at certain times and when they are the times when they can talk in class.
- Consequences of not following the rules. As the rules will be clear, the consequences will also be clear. If they are not met, the consequences will be applied in such a way that they were agreed in advance. These must be fulfilled accordingly. There is no room for arbitrariness.
- Self-regulation strategies for students. It is necessary for children to understand the need to keep the speaking turn as a way to respect others and thus promote coexistence and learning in the classroom.
- The teacher uses a slow rhythm when speaking. Shouting is useless. It is very effective to play with the intensity of the voice. Above all it is very effective to use it with teenagers.
- Fixed look. Stare at the child they are talking about at the moment that should not cause immediate effect.
- Moments of relief. Children and adolescents have the need to communicate so it will be convenient to have spaces and moments for them to do so.
Use the game with the students to maintain silence
One last piece of advice to maintain silence requires special mention. Using the playful alternative poses different fun, effective and positive formulas for children to train their regulation strategies and thus achieve the cessation of the murmurs in class. Among the various games that exist we can propose:
- We prepare ourselves for silence. Explain to the children that before maintaining the silence you have to relax, for this you have to show them a series of indicators to follow, such as: deep breathing, sitting, crossing the arms, closing the mouth and opening the ears to listen.
- 1, 2,3 ... Silence. To start this game you have to let the children scream, move and talk. All at once without being understood. But you must be vigilant because when the teacher says 1,2,3 silence all must remain silent.
- The songs. Another fun way to keep quiet, especially when they are very small is to use songs. When the children are talking, the teacher will start singing a song (for example, the owl says shhh) and the little ones will be added to finish it and then silence will reign.