When it is time to sleep we find a very common situation in some babies: the child huddles in the arms of his mother and little by little he falls asleep placidly. After a while, the mother tries to leave the child in his crib very carefully so as not to wake him up, but suddenly he wakes up screami
When it is time to sleep we find a very common situation in some babies: the child huddles in the arms of his mother and little by little he falls asleep placidly.
After a while, the mother tries to leave the child in his crib very carefully so as not to wake him up, but suddenly he wakes up screaming, crying and demanding attention. What happens is a natural reaction called: "syndrome of the cradle with spikes". We tell you why it happens and what we can do.
Why the cradle syndrome occurs with spikes
The baby after spending 9 months in the mother's breast, feeling the heartbeat, being gently rocked by the constant swaying, and accustomed to the mother's smell that make feel protected and safe; suddenly, he is born and experiences very important changes. Many babies need to continue feeling this protection and although many parents expect their babies to settle for their quiet and quiet crib, the little ones will not accept it.
Many parents wonder if the baby has a radar or something similar that alerts them when they are leaving them on the mattress of their crib and that makes them wake up immediately like a spring. Yes, they do. When sleeping there are two phases:
- REM phase: It is a short and deep sleep phase.
- Non-REM Phase: Babies spend almost all of their sleep hours in this phase. It has a survival function, since it is a phase of superficial sleep that allows the baby to react to any unpleasant or potentially dangerous change.
What parents can do if the child is upset by leaving him in his crib
If the baby suffers from the cradle syndrome with spikes and every time we try to leave him in his crib he cries and screams, it helps a lot not to despair and empathize with them . Once we are calm and we internalize that the child is healthy and his behavior is the result of a survival mechanism, we can find some alternatives that help us:
- Choose a doll that he likes. There are babies who have attachment with a stuffed animal, a cloth, blanket or doll that they carry everywhere.
- The co-sleeping. Sleeping with the baby in the same bed or in a crib next to it will make the child feel safe. But be careful, you have to do it correctly.
- The atmosphere of the room. It is recommended that the room be ventilated before putting the child there. Also, it is important that the temperature is neither too high nor too low. About twenty degrees is the most convenient. It is necessary to emphasize a pleasant decoration for the small one and in the color of the room, being recommendable the pastel shades.
- Ambient sound. Many babies fall asleep with the sound of a vacuum cleaner, a dryer, etc. This isolates children from other types of noise that may wake them up.
- Use relaxing music. Use paused songs, classical music or nanas are a good option for the baby to relax and get to sleep.
- Use the muslin. Wrapping the child in a muslin before leaving him in his crib can help. The effect of wrapping it in a soft and comfortable fabric transmits safety and comfort.