Intelligence Bits, a method to improve the child's learning
Some years ago los the "Intelligence Bits" programs began to be introduced in the infant classrooms. But these programs can also be used at home with our children. The "Intelligence Bits" programs are a didactic method aimed at children between 0-6 years old with the aim of improving attention, faci
Some years ago los the "Intelligence Bits" programs began to be introduced in the infant classrooms. But these programs can also be used at home with our children. The "Intelligence Bits" programs are a didactic method aimed at children between 0-6 years old with the aim of improving attention, facilitating concentration and developing and stimulating the brain, memory and learning.
What is the Intelligence Bits method for children
The method was created by the American physician Glenn Doman, with the aim of stimulating the child to learn. The Doman methods aim to develop the physical, intellectual and social abilities of children as soon as possible.
The Doman program consists of several specific programs or methods:
- Program of Reading Bits.
- Intelligence Bit Program in the strict sense, Glenn Doman called the knowledge acquired by the Intelligence Bits, "encyclopedic knowledge".
- Mathematics Bits Program, etc ...
A Bit of Intelligence is any simple and concrete stimulus, (an image or a sound) that the brain can store by one of the sensory pathways: auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory or gustatory .
How to work intelligence bits with children
A bit is an image that we present in paper, cardboard or computer format on a white background and in large size. For example, if we work fruits, we will present pictures with images of fruits, without putting the name of the fruit. We tell them the name, (Strawberry, banana ...)
Each Bit or unit that we present must be:
BITS should be structured around categories: animals, food, transport, art ...
Here are some brief brushstrokes on its use:
- Each Intelligence Bit or sheet is presented for a very short time, and accompanied by the name of the image. They are organized by categories (food, animals, colors ...), and in blocks of about 5 bits each presentation.
- The bits will be displayed in a fast way, grouped by categories, in three daily sessions and for five days.
- Up to 5 categories are shown in a session. About 25 bits, and the sessions must be spaced at least half an hour.
- The bits, once presented, are removed without checking that they have learned them.
- We must ensure that children are attentive, and that there are no distractors. The category is announced and the names of the bits are spoken with great joy to attract the attention of the children. The silence of the children and the enthusiasm of the teacher or mother are indispensable.
- No bit is such an important stimulus that it must be received obligatorily.
A method to stimulate children's learning
This method does not intend to teach directly, but to stimulate the brain areas, especially of sight and hearing.
Like all teaching methods, it should not be considered the definitive "method" for our children to learn. Nor can we think that the more bits they learn will be smarter, or they will learn faster.
But it is a way to stimulate your visual and semantic memory, your visual attention, expand your lexical store, vocabulary and language and also develop the formation of grammatical categories.