Sensitive children, like other children, need an education adapted to their way of being. An education that helps them enhance all their innate qualities and abilities without forgetting to provide them with the necessary tools to reduce their habitual sense of vulnerability to the eyes, comments or
Sensitive children, like other children, need an education adapted to their way of being. An education that helps them enhance all their innate qualities and abilities without forgetting to provide them with the necessary tools to reduce their habitual sense of vulnerability to the eyes, comments or criticism of others.
How are sensitive children?
Sensitive children, from the first months of life, react in a special way to the sounds, textures, aromas, colors but also to the gestures, words and looks of people around them.
They are children with many positive qualities but there are 3 characteristics that we must take into account when educating them:
- High empathic capacity. They capture the emotional states of other people quickly. However, this positive social ability can make them suffer a lot if we do not teach them how to handle it properly. Well directed is a skill that will help them a lot in their future social and work relationships.
- High emotion. Your emotions overflow. Positive emotions such as joy, illusion, surprise or negatives such as pain, disappointment or anger can represent a real drama or an explosion of euphoria by the way sensitive children perceive them.
- High drama. They tend to suffer a lot in the face of any adversity or setback. Any negative event can represent the worst day of your life. They suffer because their friend is sad, because they have quarreled with their classmate or because their teacher has not told him anything about the beautiful drawing they have made. So it is usual also that we listen to complain about everything.
So if educating any child is already a challenge for every parent who wants to do well, educating sensitive children seems to be even more so because of their high emotionality and drama. Like any other child, they need caring, warm and understanding parents. Parents who accept them as they are helping them to feel safe.
Sensitive children need above all:
- Feeling loved and listened to. We all need physical contact to feel good. We all need to feel heard and cared for. But especially sensitive children are children who need greater demonstrations of affection, understanding and attention. They enjoy physical contact and conversations with others, no matter how old they are.
- Understanding and empathy. They are children who need to explain how they feel and what they need to feel good. They need us to put ourselves in their place and understand their point of view.