The word is the ability to express thought through articulated language. The primitive words are those that do not come from any other, they are the first in your family, while the words that are born from the primitive words are called derived words and all together form the family of words. We exp
The word is the ability to express thought through articulated language. The primitive words are those that do not come from any other, they are the first in your family, while the words that are born from the primitive words are called derived words and all together form the family of words.
We explain how to teach children to form derivative words and how they can have fun playing with them.
Game for children to learn to form derivative words
The root of the word is the part of the word that does not change (is the common part), and adding some particles in front of it (prefix) or after (suffix) are formed the derived words. For example:
- Family of words: Flower, florist, floral, vase, flowering, flowery, deflower, cauliflower.
- Root: Flower
Once explained this, we can resort to a game to strengthen the knowledge acquired. The game is called 'The word scouts'. We can turn our house or class into an expedition in search of the origin of words, ideally in the schoolyard or outdoors. How to play ?:
1. We will divide the explorers into groups depending on the children who will participate.
2. We will put a trunk full of cards with derived words, which we will call, 'The trunk of lost words', so that each group of explorers choose one. These cards will have the root of the word written in red to differentiate it from the rest, for example: Flor - Flowery, rouge, baker, paper, etc. En 3. On the same card from the back, a clue will be given to find the next card, in which a word will be written that will be from the same family, for example: Si - If a to a group of children the colorful word has touched them, behind the card this clue may appear: 'If you follow this path, you will find the card at the foot of the fourth pine'. It can be under a table, behind a door, etc.
- There you will discover the word rouge. On the back of this new card there will be another clue: 'Four steps to the left and another six to the front, if you are a good explorer you will find it instantly'.
4. If the children follow the clues well, they will find the third card with another word from that same family 'colored' and another new clue on the back: '-' Do not get out of this way and you will soon find your destiny '.
5. If they have passed all the tests, it means that each group will carry three cards of the same family, in our case, colorful, blusher and colored and upon arriving at the indicated destination, the primitive village, they will find the first word of their family, in our case the word color, (also written in red), and there they should place their cards next to the one that corresponds to theirs, thus completing the family of words En 6. In the primitive village among many other words may be the words :
There the teacher or the adult who supervises the game, will carry more cards with more words so that all the children continue to join the corresponding family. The game can be extended as much as you want, depending on the cards and the clues that we put.
7. When the little scouts have found and placed all the cards correctly, it will be time to celebrate big that the family is united by jumping and slapping and the game will be over. In the process you will learn how important it is to have a united family.
A children's poem to work on the derived words
THE WORD FAMILY
The word floripondio
put on his best suit
and in search of his roots
decided to take a trip.
He found himself on the road
with the word florón, al and when he heard what they were talking
he said a revolting script:
'Follow that path
and your origin will find', la and the word florón
flowering was behind.
Florist and foil
very kindly greeted,
and to know what they were looking for
with interest they asked:
Can we accompany you?
They said they were happy,
and at their hand they grabbed
with the same thought
the same way they took.
Cauliflower and flourishing
and to such a flowery trip
happy also joined.
flourish and bloom,
were found asking
at the same address.
To the primitive town
they arrived all tired
and when seeing them arrive the flower
cried very excited.
They embraced the words
when they saw the flower,
joy and a lot of love.
to find their roots: Qué How important is the family!
and at last they ate partridges.
To conclude I leave you a phrase of Voltaire
: 'A badly placed word spoils the most beautiful thought'.