When parents find themselves in a situation where their children do not pay attention to them, it is important to know how to act to stop these bad behaviors and to prevent them from becoming a habit . Faced with the disobedient behavior of children, the attitude of parents is very important. It is
When parents find themselves in a situation where their children do not pay attention to them, it is important to know how to act to stop these bad behaviors and to prevent them from becoming a habit.
Faced with the disobedient behavior of children, the attitude of parents is very important. It is essential that they remain firm in all the instructions they give to their children, as well as being always calm and speaking slowly. For example, a simple way to capture the attention of children and get them to listen is to bend down to get up to them and look them in the eye. This way, it will be easier for them to understand and process the orders given to them.
How to act so that disobedient behaviors do not appear
First of all, the best way to reduce or prevent disobedient behaviors in children is to mark clear limits from a young age. Therefore, some essential aspects are:
1. Freedom with limits: It is advisable that parents grant some freedom to their children but within limits. For example, if the child is prohibited from watching TV later than 10pm, but you want to make an exception, it is important to explain that it is a special day and make sure you understand it.
2. Responsibility and cooperation: fostering these skills by delegating some tasks to the children, such as setting the table, is a good way to increase their self-esteem because they see their parents trusting them. Ser 3. Be clear and value the child's work:
the demands must be clear and brief so that the child understands them and does not get confused or dismissed. In addition, it is important to include positive assessments towards the tasks that the child does well and those that he does without being asked. 4. Another aspect to work at home are some
behaviors that parents do unintentionally and that can help reinforce disobedient behaviors. - Conscious tantrums? You have to avoid giving in to the pressure of the children so that they do not get away with it and resort to anger whenever they want something.
- Do you pay close attention to anger? Parents should not pay too much attention to typical tantrums because they can make the child understand that getting angry will get attention.
- Do you fight power struggles? Many parents, without realizing it, raise their tone of voice and aggressive behavior when they scold their child, especially when the child is upset or screaming. It is important to stay calm and not get carried away by the circumstances.
What to do when the child has a disobedient behavior
In this section I propose some
useful techniques for parents to apply when they find themselves in the situation where their child constantly carries out disobedient behaviors and wants to reduce them. 1. Reinforce positive behaviors:
It is important for parents to reinforce positive behaviors that their child performs, to avoid discouragement or frustration. For example, the most typical way of assessing these behaviors is through flattery towards the feat achieved, with a simple smile or rewarding children with points (as I mentioned in the article Disobedient Behaviors). Hacer 2. Make the child think about his behavior: it is recommended that once the child has calmed down, talk to him to explain that it is not necessary to scream or make tantrums to express himself and that there are other alternatives to say the things that They can give better results.
3. Stand firm in the face of inappropriate behaviors: When the child treats the material wrongly by breaking it or throwing things away, the parents must stand firm and have him correct what he has done. For example, if you have painted a wall you should be taught that you have to clean it later.