The Technique of the Peace Table to regulate the emotions of children
How many times have you felt lost when a conflict arose among the members of your family? Either a fight between brothers, an anger between your child and you, or an abnormal emotional state in the child, that is, an internal conflict. I would like to present you a way to face these situations, that
How many times have you felt lost when a conflict arose among the members of your family? Either a fight between brothers, an anger between your child and you, or an abnormal emotional state in the child, that is, an internal conflict.
I would like to present you a way to face these situations, that will make you feel safe and convinced that you are doing it in a fair, correct and conciliatory way.
What is The Table of Peace. The emotions of your child
It is aphysical space in our house, where to go when there is a conflict, fight or quarrel, between two or more family members. You also go to this space alone, to take time to think, when you feel sad, frustrated, nervous, angry, overwhelmed or simply because you need tranquility and loneliness. In short, torecover your usual spirit.The technique of the Mesa de la Paz
, to regulate the emotions of children, is a pedagogical resource for conflict resolution, focused on a "positive and constructive discipline" that is based on theMontesori methodology.The Peace table serves so that the child learns and internalizes all the emotions that can be felt, thatlearns to identify them
in himself and in others. Para - To know how to accept those emotions , express them in a respectful and adapted way.
- To encourage oral expression, negotiation, emotional intelligence, a assertiveness and empathy. Para - To promote their self-esteem, so that they learn social skills and develop an interpersonal intelligence.How to create The Table of Peace
- We must place it in a space of the house community, not in the child's room.
- An auxiliary low table and a pair of chairs or similar will suffice as furniture or a small
with a pair of cushions. It depends on the space we have and the characteristics of our home. - A box or
basket where we can introduce the following objects and resources, and that we could call "Box looks for emotions": 1- An hourglass, a candle with batteries, an anti-stress ball
, a music box , a bell, a rain stick, necklace of beads, a mirror, a notebook and colored pencils, a album with a selection of family photos (emotional, funny, important moments etc ...) Hacer 2- Make us with a book childish to talk about emotions, you can find great variety, choose the one you like most.
3- Make a indicador "indicator of emotions" , it is images of faces with different emotions, it can be in the form of a clock or of notebook.How to implement the Peace Table
- To learn how to use this space correctly, we will start with a "role-play", which consists in simulating a conflict We will participate in the whole family, each one will adopt a different role and then the roles will be changed, for example, a fight between brothers
- The rules that will reign in this space are explained: not hitting, not interrupting, not shouting, not making fun, not insulting, respecting and not offending. - "I" instead of "You." Which translates to: "I've felt this way", instead of, "You made me feel that way."- People have to go to the place in a "voluntary way", to want and have the intention of resolving the conflict
- It will begin by explaining how I feel about what has happened, respecting the turn, we will touch the bell when we finish speaking and thus indicate the other's turn. También - You can also start
drawing or writing how I feel and giving kiss the other so that he sees or reads it, it is used above all when we do not dare to tell something or we are not able to verbalize it.- If it is an internal conflict. We will go to this space alone, to
look for answers
to what happens to us, as
way of escape to our emotions. To calm down we can take the rain stick, listen to the melody of the music box, the anti-stress ball. If we aresad
look at the photo album. If we do not know well how we feel, look through the book of emotions and face our feelings with the "emotion clock." How parents can moderate conflicts -
Never force make peace, or the wall between them it will get bigger. - When they fight, do not separate them, do not resort to blocking,
favor the approach , it is the way to learn to resolve conflicts - Do not act as a judge, but as a moderator Este This resource leads the children to have a certain sense of injustice and anger towards their brother, which makes the situation worse, and also leads to the need to always resort to the adult to defend them and resolve the conflict.