Fish is a healthy food that must be present in the diet of children and pregnant women because of its high protein content and its low amount of saturated fats. Fish concentrates basic nutrients for both the growth and development of children and the evolution of the baby in the womb. In addition to
Fish is a healthy food that must be present in the diet of children and pregnant women because of its high protein content and its low amount of saturated fats.
Fish concentrates basic nutrients for both the growth and development of children and the evolution of the baby in the womb. In addition to protein it has iron, calcium, omega 3, vitamins and zinc.
Fish in the diet of the pregnant woman
Fish must be a food present in the pregnant woman's diet, and besides that white fish is low in fat, omega 3 fatty acids help in the formation of the brain tissue of the baby. Since we can not manufacture these fatty acids we must ingest them with food.
In any case, some fish, due to pollution of rivers and seas, contain substances that can be harmful in pregnancy such as mercury and dioxin. To avoid this, it is advisable to:
- ensure that the fish is well cooked and preferably remove the skin
- avoid consuming species that feed on other species such as shark or swordfish, since the mercury content may be higher
- carry proper hygiene in the handling of raw fish and washing hands and cutlery well used
In addition, should avoid raw fish, smoked, salted or marinated since they may be contaminated with the anisakis parasite. It is therefore best to take the fish always cooked.
White fish is more advisable during pregnancy than blue fish since it has less fat and is more easily digested, in any case blue fish should not be avoided in the diet since it is rich in omega 3.
Fish in diet of children
Although adults know the benefits and importance of incorporating fish into the child's diet is not always easy because it is one of the foods along with vegetables and fruits that most reject. However, we also learn to eat and parents must show a positive and firm attitude towards it. How?
- it is important to clean the fish well before serving it to the child so that he does not find any thorn.
- the fish can be combined with other foods that you like more like pizzas.
- the sooner the fish is incorporated into the child's diet and more naturally the better. From the ninth month can already be introduced in the baby purees.
- sauces can be made to make the taste more palatable to the child or even presented in a fun way with different shapes.
- when the child can collaborate in the kitchen, it will help to participate in the preparation of the recipe.
In any case, we must not forget that fish can cause allergies due to a reaction to fish protein or a parasite present in some fish called anisakis. Therefore, pediatricians recommend introducing it little by little into the child's purées to check their reaction.