Consequences of lack of communication between parents and children
Whenever we say, do or stop doing things, we are establishing relationships with others, for what we are communicating Communication within the family determines the way children Learn a way to get excited and think to communicate with others. When family members coordinate forms of communication, t
Whenever we say, do or stop doing things, we are establishing relationships with others, for what we are communicating Communication within the family determines the way children Learn a way to get excited and think to communicate with others.
When family members coordinate forms of communication, they reach the needs of all members. But what happens when that dialogue and that understanding is missing? In Guiainfantil.com we tell you what the consequences are.
Causes of lack of communication in the family
Within the family nucleus is learned and taught through values, ways of thinking and how it is communicated. Thanks to this coordination, the family is going to build a way to face daily difficulties and to see things through negotiation or respecting and accepting other points of view.
The lack of communication has to do with the many misunderstandings that occur within families. A small error in communication can cause bad environment for a long time. Therefore, if there is no connection between the members of the family, communication problems are generated.
Problems in communication begin with the appearance of some factors resulting from the excessive "individualism" of the members or the educational styles used by parents. Among these factors we can find:
- Lack of time. The lack of time to be together as a family is a key factor for lack of communication. Nowadays, the pace of life is accelerated and more important things like Internet, TV, etc. are also shown more importance.
- Little patience. It is another factor that contributes greatly to the lack of communication. When irritation appears, the easiest way to resolve the situation is found: ignore the other
- Discipline. Being authoritative and not let the child express their needs can be harmful. In addition, leaving too much freedom of choice, turning your demand into the most important can also be. The balance towards positive communication must be sought.
The lack of family communication has to do with psychological problems in children and adolescents of an emotional and behavioral nature. These problems can extend outside of the family affecting work, school and other social environments
Tips to improve communication with the family
- Do not judge. Neither criticize nor sanction their behaviors constantly. These types of attitudes only put barriers in the child and the parents.
- Listen. Letting the child talk and say what he thinks or feels is beneficial for the good functioning of the family. Do not interrupt what you are saying to know what you think.
- What you have to say is important. Many times we adults seem to be worried about something we do not care about. Failure to give it makes in the future put a barrier between them and the child does not decide to talk about what concerns him.
- Do not impose. Giving people tools to find solutions to their problems is better than telling children what to do. It is important to reason the advantages and disadvantages of the decisions to be made.
- Clear answers. Speak in a concise and clear manner. Conversing all issues openly, naturally and without prejudice prevents the child from having to find the answers he needs "outside" the family nucleus.