Symptoms of a bad adaptation of the baby to daycare
When children start going to nursery school or day care for the first time, they are usually complicated days. For many of them it can be a great trauma due to all the changes that occur in your life. They are still very small and are not prepared to face separation from their parents' side. This is
When children start going to nursery school or day care for the first time, they are usually complicated days. For many of them it can be a great trauma due to all the changes that occur in your life.
They are still very small and are not prepared to face separation from their parents' side. This is an emotional situation that causes feelings of fear and anxiety. Attitudes such as refusing to go to the center, crying or kicking are very common anxiety reactions during the adaptation period.
How to know if the baby does not adapt to the nursery school
During the first days it is normal for the child to have anxiety reactions. Even parents feel guilty when they leave their child crying because they think they are "abandoning" him.
The anxiety that occurs in children is normal. Being so small, they do not have a clear perception of time, so when the parents separate from him he thinks that this separation will be forever, which causes him great anguish. The problem comes when the child does not overcome this fear, nor this anxiety. You do not get used to the changes with the help of the adaptation period. There are children to whom adaptation is more difficult and to others who are never effective.
There are behaviors that can show us the existence of problems in adaptation:
- The child is excessively dependent on their parents. It is normal that the first days the child clings more to his companion. The problem comes when this excessive dependence does not diminish over time.
- The child shows setbacks in his development. He goes back to pee, wants the pacifier or sucks his thumb, among others. These are eventual setbacks that can be a symptom of poor adaptation when they are maintained weeks later and even intensify. Something very significant is that you start to eat badly or go back to order a bottle.
- Changes of character. He becomes more quiet, sad, cries easily throughout the day, does not play, is apathetic, also answers, disobeys continuously .... We are wanting to say something.
- Sleep problems. Requires your presence to be able to do it, takes time to fall asleep and wakes up frequently during the night. It does not manage to assimilate the experiences lived during the day.
When the child shows several of these behaviors, it is convenient to analyze the situation and then find solutions among all. Parents and school.
How to favor the good adaptation of the baby to the nursery
This period is difficult for children. For this reason, and in order not to aggravate the problem, parents can favor the child in this stage by following some advice. That we can start them up will depend on the rules of the center where we take the children. Many schools are very rigid in their guidelines when making adaptation and others more flexible.
- In the first days they can share the classroom space with them.
- Go little by little. Each day spend more time increasing the schedule to the rhythm of the child, taking into account that each child has their own needs. Que - That there is a joint work between family and school.
- To be optimistic and confident about the child's incorporation into the nursery school.
- That the child is a participant in the situation. Give tasks and routines such as choosing clothes, prepare the backpack, etc.
- Establish a relationship of trust with the child's educator to be able to raise questions and questions