The good and the bad for children of new technologies
Today's children are born and grow up surrounded by new technologies, so much so that they are already called digital natives. And, in almost all houses there is a computer, a smartphone, a tablet or a video game console. Adults are impressed by the way children have access to new technologies . Pra
Today's children are born and grow up surrounded by new technologies, so much so that they are already called digital natives. And, in almost all houses there is a computer, a smartphone, a tablet or a video game console.
Adults are impressed by the way children have access to new technologies. Practically there is no need to teach them to use them, children handle new technologies by imitation and in a much more natural way.
This ease of access that children have to new technologies makes us consider what benefits they have for children and what dangers can be found in the use of them.
Benefits for children of new technologies
New technologies, like everything, have their advantages and disadvantages. Let's start with the benefits, what good things do they bring to children?
- Develop children's skills, help them make decisions and solve problems, analyze and observe.
- It is an excellent way of communication since they can be in contact with people from other places.
- It is a window open to knowledge, at the click of a mouse children can access any type of information.
- Can be used as a tool for school support and help improve academic results.
- They are a great tool to help children with some type of disability or learning problem.
- Stimulates research, discovery or desire to learn by the child.
Disadvantages of new technologies for children
New technologies also have their dangers, especially for children, precisely because they are unaware of the dangers that can haunt them such as cyberbullying, grooming, sexting. How can parents protect them from these threats?
- The first step we must take into account when children start using new technologies is control and limits in their use.
- The information in these cases is our main ally, it is very important that we talk with our children and we talk about the different types of harassment that can be given through the Internet and social networks F - Encouraging this dialogue will help us to create a climate of trust that helps the child to tell us what happens to him / her.
- We must explain to the children that
they should not provide personal data to strangers, let alone meet people they have met on the Internet if they are not accompanied by an adult. - To know what pages our child visits, by what sites he navigates and what activities he performs.
- We can also add parental filters to our devices, although the best parental filter is education.