According to the FAME (Association of Spanish midwives), masaje massage in the perineum during pregnancy is effective in reducing perineal trauma and episiotomies. The application of massage during the third trimester of pregnancy aims to stretch and soften the tissues, increase the elasticity of th
According to the FAME (Association of Spanish midwives), masaje massage in the perineum during pregnancy is effective in reducing perineal trauma and episiotomies. The application of massage during the third trimester of pregnancy aims to stretch and soften the tissues, increase the elasticity of the perineum and familiarize the woman with the sensation of stretching, allowing to relax more this area during delivery.
Perineal massage technique in pregnancy
It is true that the application of perineal massage can cause discomfort during the first weeks, but these will gradually disappear. To avoid them
the technique must be started without forcing the movements giving time for the tissues to become accustomed to the massage. There are women who have difficulty applying massage, so it is necessary to collaborate with the couple in the technique, thus favoring periods of intimacy between them.
We should not be overwhelmed by performing a perfect technique of massage, being more important the perseverance in its follow-up. The woman herself and her partner will see the effects quickly, observing how their perineum is able to achieve greater distension of the tissues with less discomfort.
The massage can be applied with different lubricants, the most common are
rosehip oil, sweet almond oil and olive oil . We will try not to use corporal oils with perfumes, since they can irritate the area of the vagina.How is perineal massage performed?
1. Wash your hands thoroughly. The nails should be trimmed and clean.
2. Empty the bladder of urine before beginning. Familiarize yourself with your perineum. You can help in a mirror.
3. Apply warm compresses or massage after having a shower.
4. Sit comfortably.
You can choose to squat, semi-sit or lean against the wall. 5. If self-massage is done, it is easier to use the thumb. For the couple, it will be the index and / or the heart. Lubricate your fingers with an oil before you start. Introduce 6. Insert your fingers into the vagina 3-4 cm, press down and towards the sides of the vagina with a firm but delicate swinging motion, stretching the area until you feel a slight stinging or burning sensation. Then slide your finger from the vagina outward and vice versa, maintaining a slight pressure for two minutes.
7. Place your fingers in the entrance of the vagina (hairpin) and press down for two minutes or until it bothers you. This will help you imagine the pressure that the baby's head will exert.
8. Then take this area between the thumb and the opposite, as a pincer, and makes a back and forth movement, from one side to another, to stretch the tissue of the entrance of the vagina and the skin of the perineum. Perform this movement for 2-3 minutes. Para 9. To finish, keeping the fingers in the same position, stretch from inside to outside, covering the lower and lateral area of the vagina and skin of the perineum, for 2 minutes. This will help you relax the area.
The frequency of the massage will be 3 times per week for 10 minutes. It will be done at least 3 weeks after the 34th week of gestation.